Monday, August 13, 2012

Varzob - as written on Saturday the 11th

I am sitting on a cot, suspended beneath trees and above a small rocky creek. This is definitely the coolest I have been since arriving in Tajikistan, aided by the trees above that block most of the sunlight and the glacial water below that cools down the air. In contrast with last night's birthday bowling adventure, Varzob is very peaceful and (for me) much needed.

The cot I am sitting on can seat about nine people comfortable, and is currently sleeping six relatively well. The creek below us has a number of small waterfalls and pools and the sound of the waterfalls is very relaxing. I have to say, this is probably my favorite place in Tajikistan so far. 

Varzob is a community with a number of families that own houses on one of the many rivers here, and they regularly rent out their backyards/pools/grills to groups on a daily basis. The particular house we are at has two cots suspended next to eachother, a relatively large pool (I would say 20k gallons; unchlorinated of course), and a smaller kid like pool. There is a mini tiki bar with speakers, an iPod jack, and a gazebo. 

Some of the other students have gone exploring, but most of us have stayed back and are enjoying the cooler air. I imagine that after writing this blog post, I'll probably nap until the food is ready. If I'm feeling adventurous, I might brave the pool (though I suspect it's fed with river water, so it is probably ice water).

One thing that I do really enjoy about the program here in Tajikistan is how many days/excursions we have had specifically designated to rest. Many of you know how much I like to sleep, and these excursions give me the perfect opportunity to catch up on my rest. In particularly, it is nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of Dushanbe (specifically the constant sound of car horns) and enjoy some more natural sounds.

That being said, I'm starting to get sleepy. Nap time!

No comments:

Post a Comment