Wednesday, July 10, 2013

'Live Tweeting' a Day in the Dush

After discussing with some friends (Joe and Eric- whose blogs are conveniently located on the right), I came up with an idea to "live tweet" a day in the life in Dushanbe. Accordingly I went through my day and recorded a few things that happen (and that happen regularly). For those of my readers who aren't familiar with twitter (grandma, I'm talking about you) I recommend reading up on the basics.

Anyways, the live tweeting includes time stamps and all tweets are within the 140 character limit. Those of you that follow me on twitter as well may recognize a few of these tweets. Enjoy! :)

Oh yeah also you should know what Candy Crush is.

6:50am
Nothing like waking up to the sound's of your family's pet prehistoric-bird. Seriously; pterodactyl + chicken = this thing 

7:00am
Bathroom time in the US: >5 minutes
Bathroom time in Tajikistan: <5 minutes
#OneOfThoseDays #JKEveryday

7:05am
WATER PRESSURE WOULD BE GREAT. #ItsLikeALightDrizzle

7:34am
Rapid succession police sirens down Rudaki Ave. No worries, just the taxi driving gang with their after-market [legal] sirens #GoodMorning

7:40am
Twenty minutes for breakfast AKA twenty minutes spent waiting for my tea to cool down #Sweatin

8:00am
All I can think while brushing my teeth is "don't swallow the water, don't swallow the water" #SickForDays

8:10am
Why does this one stretch of my daily walk ALWAYS smell like feces? #HoldinMyNose

8:11am
The crosswalk which gives me a green light to cross for 10 seconds and no one stops #DeadmanWalkin

8:23am
The daily struggle to ask for water WITHOUT gas continues 

8:30am
The hottest classroom (with air conditioning) award goes to... #Drumroll

8:30am
MY CLASSROOM. I get to sit in this stagnant room for the next four hours and SWEAT

8:35am
Already soaked. #SexyAndIKnowIt

9:20am
Break! Candy Crush time.

9:23am
I have a ten minute break and my teacher keeps talking to me <<<<<<<
#LeaveMeBe #BrainBreakRequired

9:30am
Now that the "break" has concluded... on to some story I absolutely do not understand. 

10:00am
Legitimately think that story is in a language other than Persian #TryAgainProfessor 

10:19am
Breakkkkkkkk. Going to the "Wild Dragon Shack" for a bag of chips and a snickers... All for a dollar. 

10:31am
Sorry prof, don't mind while I just sit here and chomp on my chips super loudly #NomNom

11:04am
Tajik is seriously like another language. It is NOT Iranian Farsi lol #CyrillicBeLikeHuh

11:21am
So hungry. Need food. One more hour.

11:28am
FINALLY BEAT THIS LEVEL ON CANDY CRUSH #CandyCrushinForDays

11:49am
When you're sitting in class talking about how to say all kinds of fruits in Tajik AND YOU'RE STARVING #ThatStuffIDontLike

12:20pm
Lunchhhhhhh nowwwwww.

12:21pm 
And so commences the daily debate: sketchy (and cheap) Russian cafe or the Iranian restaurant. 

12:27pm
Justice prevails! Onward to the tasty Iranian food (Paniz).

12:37pm
Waiting for the bus means telling 27 mashrutkas that you're waiting for the bus #TheHustle

12:43pm
We're on the bus with the air freshener! If only there was more than one and it wasn't 110 out... #StinkSession

12:50pm
Paniz! Paniz! Paniz! 

12:51pm
Tajik waitresses that don't speak Iranian Farsi at the Iranian restaurant #RiddleMeThat 

1:10pm
Stuffed. God I love Iranian food.

1:12pm
We always say we want to "do something" but then we walk outside and we're like... Lets go to the place with air conditioning #TajikProblems

1:15pm
REVISION: we have decided to go to the bazaar.

1:17pm 
We put our hand out on the side of the road and every single car pulled over and tried to pick us up. #MashrutkaTime

1:36pm
How many people do you think the driver is going to pick up?

1:45pm
Answer: 19. 19 people. In a van. No air conditioning. Where do I even go?

1:57pm 
Bazaar!!!! :)

2:20pm
Bazaar!

2:42pm
Bazaar...

3:03pm
Bazaar :( let's go. I'm as wet as the ocean and I'm in the middle of a desert. 

3:10pm 
Mashrutka number two of the day. Lets play #GuessHowManyPeopleCanWeFit!

3:19pm
This bridge looks like it's under construction... Traffic narrowed down to one lane each way.

3:19pm
UPDATE: Traffic limited to one lane ONE way... And guess what?? It's not the way we're going 

3:20pm
Whelp. Crossed the bridge. That was my #LifeFlashedBeforeMyEyes moment of the day... 

3:34pm
No I don't speak Russian, but thanks for assuming I do #EveryoneInThisCountry

3:35pm
Ahhhh the daily lecture from random Tajiks about the greatness of the Russian language, how useful,  important it is, etc.

3:37pm
No, I still don't speak Russian. 

3:45pm
Safely out of the car! I would kiss the ground right now if it wasn't full of trash #TajikProblems

3:57pm
Bahahah @JoeCalder fell in the joo!

4:03pm
Two words: air conditioning.

4:44pm
The need to go to the squatty potty can sneak up on one very fast #TajikProblems

4:46pm
Good thing someone left their homework here; I forgot my toilet paper.

5:30pm
Home! Predinner nap!

6:30pm
Anyone awake? I need some help on #CandyCrush

7:00pm
Doing Persian homework after doing Persian class and Persian speaking all day is frustrating. #BrokenBrain

7:40pm
Tajik TV, tho.

7:45pm
Bibijon just asked me why I wasn't married (again). Oh Bibijon... #IfOnlyYouKnew

8:00pm
That time of day when the city is breaking fast. In other words, DEAD SILENT all across the city. #NomNom

8:20pm
The silence only broken by my host brother and father arguing. Daily occurrence, nothing to worry about here folks.

8:40pm
Dinner wrapping up...

8:42pm
...false alarm more food has just arrived!

9:04pm
Host family is really concerned that I don't eat enough. They are easily the only people that think that. #FatKid

9:10pm
My daily argument with my host mom. She refuses to let me even take my dishes into the kitchen. It's no big deal- I have hands! 

9:23pm
Teaching my host brother and the neighbor how to play Rummy!

9:25pm
This isn't going well.

9:30pm
Okay... Rummy unsuccessful. Guess we'll play that Russian card game that they love so much. 

9:31pm
It's called like Kaldrogo or something. Never really sure what's happening in it. #IDontSpeakRussian

9:40pm
I won?! I think the kids I'm playing with are just as surprised as me! 

9:50pm
Fruit plate! Wahoooooooo

10:30pm
Goodnight Twitter, I'm going to bed! 

10:50pm
Cantttttt sleeeeeppppp

11:04pm
So hot. 

11:30pm
Haha this is amazing [RandomLinkHere]

11:45pm
Seriously I need to go to sleep.

11:46pm
Looks like it's supposed to cool down tomorrow- only 105! 

12:00am
I love that there's a hot water heater right next to the toilet! #SaidNoOneEver

12:06am
Immodium: my best friend in Tajikistan #TajikLife

12:15am
Either I'm hallucinating or there's a small earthquake occurring. 

12:35am
Why am I still awake?

No comments:

Post a Comment