Thursday, September 12, 2013

I Might Be Eating Russian Ramen for the Foreseeable Future

Yeah so we know I'm not the best cook in the world. Couple that with being in this country and I may be in more trouble than I thought!

I went shopping today. The major plus was that the people at the checkout line really loved my reusable Chicago Cubs' bags (thanks mom!). The major minus was... well a lot!

You know what makes a bad chef worse? Having to read names of things or instructions in a language you don't understand (by the way that's Russian, in case you haven't read any of my other blogs).

So this should be fun. I managed to purchase a lot of pasta only to realize I have no idea what I'm going to put on top of it. Is tomato paste the same as pasta sauce? Because the pasta sauce I found was OUT OF THIS WORLD expensive. 

So the good news is I can buy a bunch of Russian knock-off Ramen-ish noodles for like under a dollar each. I'll let you know how those taste when I manage to figure out how to make them.

I know I've been a bad blogger, as this is my first post since arriving Monday, but I can assure you the only thing I've done is sleep and run around the city in an attempt to get my in-country registration complete.

Hopefully I can figure this food thing out soon. Maybe I'll ask one of the Iranians I know here to teach me how to cook Iranian food! 

(I don't think I'll be asking my Tajik friends, no offense!)

Anyways. Aside from my inability to cook, everything is going really well. The people in the international office who I have been working with are fantastic, and I can't wait to finally get started!


3 comments:

  1. Don't worry... I used to cook a lot in Korea but now I just eat ramen all the time too.

    For the directions, my guess is that you add hot water...

    PS HEY HAVEN'T TALKED IN A WHILE LOL
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha but at least in Korea the ramen is probably a little more official. Right??!

    Hot water was the key-- you were right about that. The only problem is it still tastes like you-know-what!

    P.S. HOW ARE YOU DOING SALLY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally true... ramen is actually a Korean word. (Fun fact of the day!?!) Too bad it tasted like butt, maybe if you add some fatty meat? ...Yeah, I just read that other post.

      PS I'M GREAT THANKS! HOW BOUT YOU? Oh wait that's why I'm reading your blog...

      Delete